Comic Book Distributors and Cover Artifacts
Independent Distributor's Union
Association of Comics Magazine Publishers
205 East 42nd Street, New York 17, N.Y.
Board of Directors:
• Henry F. Shultz (Executive Director)
• Levertt S. Gleason (President)
• Harold A. Moore (Treasurer)
• Rae Herman (Secretary)
• William Gaines
• Irving S. Manheimer
• Frank Amer
Comics Code Authority Stamp
Distribution Mark/Co-branding Mark
Ace News Corp./Ace Publications
23 West 47th Street, New York, N.Y.
• A.A. Wyn (President)
Atlas News Co., Inc./Atlas Magazines, Inc.
270 Park Avenue, New York, N.Y.
• Martin Goodman (President)
American News Co. Inc.
131 Varick Street, New York City, N.Y.
Union News Co. (wholly owned subsidiary)
• P. D. O'Connell (President)
• William A. Eichhorn (Executive Vice-president and Treasurer)
Capital Distributing Co.
• Ron Scott (Owner) (1964-1967)
• Robert A. Baker (Circulation Director)
Colonial News Co.
Curtis Circulation Co.
Independence Square, Philadelphia, Pa.
• Benjamin Allen (President)
Fawcett Distributing Co.
Fawcett Publications Inc.
67 West 44th Street, New York, N.Y.
• Roger Fawcett (Vice-president)
Gilberton Co., Inc.
101 Fifth Avenue, New York, N.Y.
• William E. Kanter (Vice-president)
George A. Pflaum
38 West 5th Street, Dayton, Ohio
• George A. Pflaum, Jr.
International Circulation Co. (Hearst Magazine)
International Circulation Division (Hearst Magazine)
Started: 1930 by William Randolph Hearst
250 West 55th Street, New York, N.Y.
• R.E. Haig (Vice-president)
Independent News Co.
480 Lexington Avenue, New York, N.Y.
• Paul H. Sampliner (President)
• H. Donenfeld (Owner)
• Harold Chamberlain (Circulation Director)
Kable News Co.
Started: April 30, 1932 by Harry Kable (then President of Kable Printing Company)
500 Fifth Avenue, New York, N.Y.
• Samuel James Campbell (Chairman of board)
• George B. Davis (President)
Leader News Co. Inc.
114 East 47th Street, New York N.Y.
• Michael Estrow (President)
• Frank Amer
Publishers Distributing Corp.
1481 Broadway, New York, N.Y.
• Irving S. Manheimer (President)
S-M News Co., Inc. (McCall Corporation)
229 Fourth Ave., New York, N.Y.
• Wilbur Smith (General Manager)
Colonial Distributors Limited (Canada):
Jason Comic Art studio:
• Bridgeport Herald Co. (2 Main Street, Bridgeport, Conn.)
• Central Color Printing (221 Conyngham Ave., Wilkes-Barre, Pa.)
• Curtiss Way Corp. (163 Pratt Street, Meriden, Conn.)
• Danner Press, Inc. (Sojourner Truth Bldg., 37 North High Street, Akron, Ohio)
• Danner Press of Canton, Inc. (1250 Camden Avenue, S.W., Canton, Ohio)
• Derby Color Press, Inc. (49 Hawkins Street, Derby, Conn.)
• Eastern Color Printing Co. (61 Leavenworth St., Waterbury, Conn.)
• Greater Buffalo Press, Inc. (8 Lord Street, Buffalo, N.Y.)
• Hall Printing Co. (4600 Diversey Ave., Chicago, Ill.)
• Holyoke Printing Co. (1 Appleton Street, Holyoke, Mass.)
• Phelps Publishing Co. (29 Worthington Street, Springfield, Mass. [member Allied Printing Trade Council])
• World Color Press, Inc. (420 De Soto Ave., St. Louis, Mo. [member Allied Printing Trade Council])
• World Color Printing Co. (Second and Dickey Streets, Sparta, Illinois)
"World Color", 404 N. Wesley Ave., Mount Morris, Ill. (becomes part of Quebecor Printing)
1723 West 74th Street, Chicago, Ill.
353 Third Street, Niagara Falls, N.Y.
101 West 31st Street, New York, N.Y.
1213 West 3rd Street, Cleveland, Ohio
60 Jarvis Street, Toronto, Canada
666 Lake Shore Drive, Chicago, Ill.
185 North Wabash Avenue, Chicago, Ill.
It's extremely unlikely that there ever was a printing plant at either of these addresses. Both are, and were, in very high rent districts. The LSD address was in the neighborhood of luxury apartments, hospitals and prestigious universities; the latter is on the northeast corner of the downtown Loop district, a block north of Marshall Field's and a black east of the classic Chicago Theater.
These were corporate offices, I'd bet.